Margit E. Whitlock, AIA, LEED AP, Principal and Creative Director of Architectural Concepts, Inc., a San Diego firm regarded as one of the Southwest’s top boutique architectural and interior design firms, has been named as a 2023 Leader of Influence in Architecture and Design by The San Diego Business Journal (SDBJ).
Since opening its doors in 1992, ACI has focused on hospitality, restaurant, and commercial markets. Located in San Diego, the boutique firm provides Architectural Design, Site and Building Planning and Interior Design services for a variety of project types.
During the past quarter century, Architectural Concepts Inc. (ACI) developed a reputation for its professionalism, creativity, and vision. With projects ranging from timeshare resorts to renowned spas, cannabis dispensaries, intimate lounges, and branded hotels, ACI has received numerous awards for its creative solutions in hospitality oriented architectural and interior design.
The SDBJ noted ACI’s significant accomplishments for 2022 and to date 2023 in choosing Margit Whitlock for this exceptional honor. These included:
- Past President of the San Diego Architectural Foundation; serving 11 years on the BOD.
- Now serving as SDAF Committee Co-Chair of World Design Capital 2024 events
- Published monthly in Resort Trades Magazine in the "Design Corner;" topics include sustainability, project planning, design trends and the guest experience
- Received 2023 GNEX Awards for Best Brand Conversion Architect of a 155-unit Holiday Inn to a Courtyard by Marriott
- Awarded the Holiday Inn Club Vacation's 30,000 SF Preview Center of the Future
- Successfully entitled 11 permits for cannabis manufacturing, cultivation or dispensaries in San Diego, Chula vista, Lemon Grove, and Santa Rosa
- Founding Member of the CEA+SD Council of Equity Advocates and member of CSG, the County of San Diego's Cannabis Stakeholders Group
- Successfully produced a series of Pod Casts (5 total) on Interior Design related to the Health and Wellness in the Cannabis Industry
- Designed and permitted the 14,000 SF Shadowridge Veterinary (Vista) and 10,000 SF West Coast Animal Hospital (San Diego)
Another category noted in qualifying for the award addressed participation with Boards, Associations and Non-Profits. Margit’s record in that department was also impressive.
To foster her passion about the built environment and her community, Margit served as a board member for eleven years and was President from 2018-2020 of SDAF / The San Diego Architectural Foundation a 501c3 non-profit. Currently Margit Co-chairs the World Design Capital 2024 events committee for SDAF, She is a member of the County of San Diego Cannabis Stakeholders Group, Founding Member of CEA+SD Council of Equity Advocates which is committed to Social Justice, a BEEP / Built Environment Education Program volunteer and teacher of workshops for middle and high school youth, past board member of AIASD / American Institute of Architects – San Diego and Habitat for Humanity San Diego and past San Diego Chair of NEWH / Network Of Executive Women in Hospitality. She is an accomplished speaker, writer, educator, and committee member for multiple non-profit and trade organizations including ARDA / American Resort Development Association, ARC, HD Boutique Show, CVCAN, and Friends of San Diego Architecture
About Architectural Concepts, Inc. (ACI)